Kalsman Institute on Judaism and Health is a department of
the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. We unite
spiritual leaders, healthcare providers and Jewish community
- Promotes awareness of issues related
to illness and wellness within the Jewish community through
seminars, conferences and publications.
- Trains students and alumni of HUC-JIR
in hospital chaplaincy and pastoral care.
- Fosters the development of bikur
cholim communities within congregations in conjunction
with the Union for Reform Judaism.
- Offers a forum for discussing the relationship
between classical Jewish perspectives and contemporary health
- Convenes members of the medical profession
and the healing community to bridge theory and clinical work.
- Furthers dialogue on Jewish bioethics,
public policy and personal care.